Keeping in view the importance of translational research for effective technology dissemination and considering the changing agricultural scenario, the Vision, Mission and Mandate of Krishi Vigyan Kendra are:
Science and technology led growth leading to enhanced productivity, profitability and sustainability of agriculture.
Farmer-centric growth in agriculture and allied sectors through application of appropriate technologies in specific agro-ecosystem perspective.
The main mandate is Technology Assessment and Demonstration for its wider Application and to enhance Capacity Development (TADA-CD). To implement the mandate effectively through creation of awareness about improved agricultural technologies, the following the domain activities are definded for KVKs.
- On-Farm Testing (OFT) to assess the location specificity of agricultural technologies under various farming systems.
- Out scaling of farm innovations through Frontline Demonstration (FLD) to showcase the specific benefits/ worth of technologies on farmers' fields.
- Capacity development of farmers and extension personnel to update their knowledge and skills in modern agricultural technologies and enterprises.
- Work as Knowledge and Resource Centre for improving overall agricultural economy in the operational area.
- Conduct frontline extension programmes and provide farm advisories using Information Communication Technology (ICT) and other media on varied subjects of interest to farmers
- Data documentation, characterization and strategic planning of farming practices.
KVK, while acting as a single window Agricultural Technology Information Centre (ATIC), should produce quality technology related inputs / products (seeds, planting materials, bio-agents, livestock, fingerlings, etc.) and make them available to farmers. Besides, identify and document selected farmer-led innovations and converge with ongoing schemes and programmes within the mandate of KVK.